Qxidative water treatment: mechanistic aspects and matrix effects
The aim of the project is to analyse and understand the reaction mechanisms of nitrogen containing during ozonation. In detail the reaction with matrix components and the formation of transformation products will be investigated.
To understand the reaction of nitrogen containing compounds with ozone better a model substance will be used before generating nitrogen centred radicals via photolysis of chloramines. Furthermore, the influence of matrix components on the reaction as well as the formation of transformation products during the ozonation will be analysed. These transformation products will be also analysed regarding the toxicity in regard of aquatic organisms. The last aspect of the project will be the application of new information on waste water samples.
The working packages of the project are listed below:
- Basic analysis of stable nitroxid- und aminyl radicals
- Photochemical generation & characterisation of aminyl radicals
- Reaction of aminyl radicals with matrix components: kinetics
- Reaction of aminyl radicals with matrix components: transformation products
- Investigation of transformation processes in water samples and application of strategies to prevent the formation of unwanted transformation products
- PhD student: Vanessa Wirzberger
- Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Torsten C. Schmidt (UDE, Chemistry)
- Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Bernd Sures (UDE, Biology)
- Supervisor: Dr. Holger Lutze (UDE, Chemistry)
- Mentor: Dr. Carsten Schmidt (RheinEnergie AG/ARW)